The Department of Home Affairs at the Australian High Commission in New Delhi processes most visa applications and some citizenship applications for residents of India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal. The information in this website is meant as supplementary, country specific information to that contained in the website at www.homeaffairs.gov.au.
Transit (subclass 771) visa – Online lodgement
From 1 July 2018, Transit (subclass 771) visa applications must be lodged electronically, through ImmiAccount. Paper applications cannot be accepted after that date.
The process is designed to support genuine transit passengers and provides a simple process with guidance for supporting documents.
Transit visas will continue to be:
- free of charge, and
- a visa option for applicants transiting through Australia or ship crew arriving by air to join a ship
Notices to all Visa Applicants
- You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.
- For online applications:
High resolution, coloured scan copy of your travel document, including the bio data page, alterations page and back page of the passport.
- For paper applications:
- Clients are strongly recommended to carry their original travel document with them when they lodge at VFS for VFS to copy and witness. Only witnessed or notarised copies of travel documents will be accepted for paper applications.
Updating your details or notifying of a change in circumstances
- For change of address and/or passport details, you can update your details online if your application is available in ImmiAccount. Go to the Department’s website www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/immi. Otherwise, use Form 929 and e-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For changes in circumstances (if you get married, enter a de facto relationship, give birth to a child, change employers) please complete Form 1022.
- Indian nationals can lodge online Visitor visa applications from 1 July 2017
- Changes to visa processing arrangements for Bangladesh
- Priority Consideration Service (Fast Track) for Visitor visa (subclass 600) applications in India
- New sponsor requirements for Partner and Prospective Marriage visa applications
- Temporary activity visa framework changes
- Tuberculosis (TB) warning for international students
- Online lodgement available now for Citizenship by Descent, Partner visa and Resident Return visa applications
- POLIO - New measures to mitigate the risk of transmission to Australia
- myVEVO - a new mobile app to check your Australian visa work rights, study rights, travel conditions and expiry date
- SCAMS: Current scams you should be aware of
- The Australian Government has announced it will enhance the way visa and citizenship services are delivered using the latest digital technologies. For more information visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's website.
Fees & Application Forms
The current fee and application form for Visitor visas is available on the Department of Home Affairs website. Fees and Charges
Visa and Citizenship Options
Processing times >> Where to Apply >> After you apply >> Contact us >> Visa Labels >> Migration fraud >> Charges and Fees >> Migration agents operating outside Australia >> Australia's Health Requirements