Australian High Commission
New Delhi
India, Bhutan

Services for Australians



In response to the Corona Virus (COVID-19), including measures put in place by local authorities, changes have been made to our services.  These changes are intended to protect you (our clients), our staff and the wider community.

At this time:

·       Our ability to process passport applications, due to local restrictions, is limited. Services will be reserved for those in genuine emergency situations.

·       If you require a passport, please contact the High Commission on +91 11 4139 9900 during business hours or DFAT’s Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305 or SMS on +61 421 269 080 to discuss your situation and for further advice.

·       Depending on your circumstance, you may be issued a passport with limited validity if staying in country, and/or an emergency passport if leaving the country to go back to Australia, or for other locations that accepts emergency passports.  The maximum period a passport will be issued for without a face to face interview is 12 months.

·       The situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve.  We will provide updates as soon as possible.  Please regularly monitor our website, and

Services for Australians

Consular and Passport Section Opening Hours:

9am-12pm and 2pm-4pm

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provides help to Australians who find themselves in trouble overseas. This support is known as consular services. If you require consular / passport assistance while in India you can contact the Australian High Commission in New Delhi, Consulate General in Mumbai or in Chennai.

In New Delhi, consular services are provided on weekdays, between 9am until 12 noon and 2pm until 4pm, except on public holidays. Telephone enquiries will be answered between 8.30am-1pm and from 2pm-5pm Monday to Friday.

DFAT also provides Australians with emergency consular services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can contact the Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 within Australia or +61 2 6261 3305 from outside Australia or SMS +61 421 269 080.

What we can and cannot do

The Consular Services Charter outlines the consular services that are provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. There will be circumstances in which our ability to provide consular support may be limited.

Travel information for Australians

Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.

You can now also subscribe to the new SMS service - by supplying your mobile number – to receive critical alerts in the event of a crisis overseas.

In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.

Visit to subscribe or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.

As always, we encourage Australians overseas to stay in touch with friends and family and let them know you’re safe.

If you need immediate assistance, you can call the Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas or 1300 555 135 from within Australia.

For more information on the changes, visit


Passport interviews are conducted at the Australian High Commission in New Delhi between 9am-12pm and 2pm-4pm, Monday to Friday, excluding some Indian and Australian public holidays. This is a walk-up service only - no appointments are taken.

Applicants must lodge their Australian Passport application in person at the Australian High Commission. Applications are not accepted by post.

Apply for a passport online
Passport Fees  

The Australian Passport Office has introduced a new portal for clients to complete their passport applications online. This will require clients to first register for an account before completing the passport application.

If clients face any issues when completing the passport application or during the account registration process, clients should contact their closest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.

Temporary Passport Arrangements during Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

The Australian High Commission and our Consulates-General continue to offer passport services during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

If you are in a city or state where stay-at-home orders are in place, or there are restrictions preventing travel, you may apply for a temporary passport (valid for up to 12 months) by mail.  Please see Applying For A Temporary Passport for more information.  If there are no stay-at-home orders or travel restrictions in your location, please make an appointment at your preferred office to lodge your application in person.

Visiting our offices during COVID-19

  • In New Delhi, consular and passport services are provided on weekdays, between 9am until 12 noon and 2pm until 4pm, except on public holidays. You must have an appointment to visit our offices in Chennai and Mumbai.
  • If you have a fever, cough or any COVID-19 symptoms, please reschedule your appointment.  Please do not attend our offices if you are ill or if you have had recent exposure to someone who is ill.
  • Please do not bring friends or family members to your appointment.  If you are applying for a child passport, both parents are welcome to attend. 
  • You must bring and wear a mask.  We will ask you to remove your mask briefly to confirm your identity.
  • You may be asked to wash or sanitise your hands before you enter the office premises. Your temperature will also be checked before you are allowed to enter our offices.


Do I need to apply if I'm not planning to travel?

No.  If you do not plan to travel and/or do not need a passport right now, you can wait until the COVID-19 situation stabilises before making an appointment at one of our offices. 

What happens if my passport expires during this time?

There is no penalty for letting your passport expire.  Renewing a passport is a personal choice, but you may not be able to leave India without a valid passport.  If you do plan to travel or need a passport for another reason, we encourage you to follow the steps above to apply now.

What if I don’t feel safe travelling to your office?

We understand that you may not feel it is safe to travel at this time, even if stay-at-home orders in your location have been lifted.  For some people, the best option is to wait until you feel ready to apply in person.

If you are still under a stay-at-home order in your city or state, or you would have to travel through a city or state where a stay-at-home order is in place, you can apply for a temporary passport through the mail.

What if I am medically unable to travel to your office even through my state has opened up?

Please contact us to discuss your situation.  If there is a reason why you need a passport but you have medical evidence that you are unable to travel, you may be able to apply for a temporary passport by mail.

What if I need to travel unexpectedly due to an emergency?

Please apply for an emergency passport as soon as possible by following the instructions above.  We can generally issue an emergency passport within 2 working days.

Do I have to replace my temporary/emergency passport in person at your office?

Yes.  If you are issued with a temporary or emergency passport, you must lodge a new application using the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (not the renewal PC7 form) in person at one of our offices. For child applications, the application must be lodged at an office in the country where the child is physically located by one parent. 

When will you stop accepting mail applications for temporary passports?

Mail applications are acceptable if your city or state is under at stay-at-home order, or has restrictions in place preventing travel.  Once these restrictions are lifted, you should apply in person at one of our offices.  We will update this page when mail applications are discontinued.

Passport Announcements

Phasing out of Frequent Traveller Passports

From 1 December 2017, applications for Frequent Traveller Passports (FTP) will no longer be accepted in Australia or overseas. This is due to an overall decline in demand for FTP’s as more countries are issuing electronic visas.  As an alternative to the FTP, the Australian Passport Office will introduce a new and less expensive replacement passport option for passport holders with full visa pages. Please discuss options on replacement passports with your nearest diplomatic mission.

PR labels no longer accepted as evidence of citizenship

From 1 April 2016, the Permanent Residency (PR) visa label of parents will not be accepted as evidence of an applicant’s citizenship. If the applicant was born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and one (or both) parents were Australian permanent residents at that time, the applicant must provide evidence of their own Australian citizenship with a citizenship certificate issued by the Department of Home Affairs.

Applicants will need to apply for their citizenship certificate using Form 119 – Application for evidence of Australian citizenship. You should take into account the processing times for citizenship certificates and passports before booking any travel. Further information can be found at the Department of Home Affairs website.

10-year validity child passports issued to applicants aged 16-17 years

From 1 January 2016, child applicants aged 16 or 17 will be issued with a 10-year passport instead of the five-year passport currently issued to children under 18. Applications must still include parental consent, and they must be personally lodged by the applicant together with a parent. The application fee will be the same as for adults, reflecting the longer validity of the passport to be issued.

Notarial Services

Notarial acts are performed at the Consular Section of the Australian High Commission in New Delhi between 9am-12pm and 2pm-4pm, Monday to Friday, excluding some Indian and Australian public holidays. This is a walk-up service only - no appointments are taken.

Notarial services are provided by the Australian High Commission and Consulates-General in India when the documents are Australian in origin or for use in Australia.

Notarial services available include:

  • Authentications and Apostilles (and the binding of documents presented)
  • Certifying copies of original documents
  • Witnessing of signatures on certain documents
  • Issuing of Certificates of No Impediment to marriage
  • Witnessing of statutory declarations
  • Administering of affidavits, oaths and affirmations

    Apostilles can be issued on original Australian public documents and can be issued at all Australian diplomatic missions in India.

    High Commission staff will make copies from all original documents presented by clients. Unfortunately, photocopies provided by clients cannot be certified.

    Fees apply for these services. Payment must be made in Indian Rupees, by either bank card or cash.

    PLEASE NOTE: The Australian High Commission is not able to provide advice on which notarial service you may need. Please ensure that you know which notarial service(s) you wish us to perform and, if necessary, confirm with the organisation or agency that requires your documents to be notarised.

For more information on notarial services and document legalisation overseas, see the Smartraveller website.

Useful Links

Taxation issues
RBDM - Births Deaths Marriages
Marriage Overseas  
Authentications and Apostilles
Travel Advice  
Bureau of Immigration, Government of India
Western Union
Consular Privacy Collection Statement
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)s
Contact Us