Our Economic Counsellor, Dr Timothy Kendall inaugurated the Samvedna Disability Resource Centre in Dhana, Thatyur village in Uttarakhand. The centre provides early disability assessment and occupational and physio therapies to people from surrounding locations.
Our Direct Aid Program also supported the establishment of the centre and construction of a disability inclusive playground. Designed at the University of Melbourne, this playground will promote inclusivity among children and improve their participation and acceptance.
Foreign Minister, the Hon Julie Bishop MP, has launched Australian Government’s Indo-Pacific Health Security Initiative to combat the challenges of existing and emerging infectious diseases for Australia and our region. An investment of $300 million over five years will support efforts to prevent and contain disease outbreaks that have the potential to cause large scale economic impacts on a national, regional or global scale.
From the world’s greatest monument of love, the Taj Mahal, to the foothills of the Himalayas and the Ganges’ holy city of Haridwar, the Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR) brought out the kindness, spontaneity and exuberance that makes India a one-of-a-kind nation in the Commonwealth. The baton arrived in Delhi on 3 October. Deepa Malik was the first Indian to hold the baton, which travelled to several cities before leaving from India on October 8. Check out its India journey here.
More Australian students will head to India in 2018 as the Australian Government’s New Colombo Plan continues to supports young Australians to live, study and undertake work placements in the Indo-Pacific. More than 1500 students from 29 universities will take part in health, nursing, education, sustainable development, engineering, renewable energy and social enterprise projects, helping them to learn more about the people and culture of India.
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's Address to the Perth USAsia Centre (21/09/17)
- High Commissioner's Address at the Rotary Club of Delhi Garden City (08/09/17)
- High Commissioner's Address at the third Water Innovation Summit 2017 (04/09/17)
Latest Press Coverage
- Australia is not just an economic partner to India, but also a strategic partner- Trade Minister Steven Ciobo's op-ed in The Economic Times
- Influential men need to step up beside women to help promote gender equality - Elizabeth Broderick's op-ed in The Economic Times
- Australia and India: partners in regional security and propserity - FM Julie Bishop's op-ed in The Hindu
- Foreign Minister Hon Julie Bishop MP in conversation with Shekhar Gupta on NDTV's Walk the Talk
- High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu's interview with The Quint