Important information for Australians
For up-to-date information on India, please refer to the Smartraveller website.
We can all help slow the spread of COVID-19. To protect yourself and others you must:
- practise good hygiene
- practise social distancing
- limit contact with other people
- understand how to isolate if you need to
- look after your mental health
If you need urgent consular assistance (for example you have been attacked, arrested) please call the Australian High Commission in New Delhi on +91 11 4139 9900, or the 24 hour Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 (within Australia) or +61 2 6261 3305 (from overseas).
International students in Australia
The Australian Government is committed to ensuring Australia remains a competitive, high quality and welcoming destination for international students. The Government has announced various student visa measures to support the international education industry and international students.
Some of the support measures for new student visa applicants and existing visa holders include:
- Student visa fee waiver in certain circumstances
- Flexible timeframes for additional information – English tests, biometrics and health
- Flexible arrangements regarding start dates due to COVID-19
- Temporary changes to visa work conditions for Students and Working Holiday Makers
- Visa Application Charge refunds for Students
- Financial assistance in certain circumstances
- International student arrival plans for Student visa holders not meeting Australia’s definition of fully vaccinated for international travel purposes
- Temporary Graduate visa replacements and extensions
Please refer to Department of Home Affairs website for details.
Useful contact information for students
- Australian Government COVID-19 for latest news, updates and advice.
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment and email [email protected]
- Department of Health for Overseas Student Health Cover
- International Student Ombudsman for COVID-19 related complaints
- Study Australia for information on support services.
Australian High Commission India consular assistance
- Business hours: +91 11 4139 9900, [email protected]
- For outside of business hours: +612 6261 3305
Australian High Commission India
Australian Consulate General Chennai
- Twitter: @AusCGChennai
Australian Consulate General Kolkata
- Twitter: @AusCGKolkata
Australian Consulate General Mumbai
- Twitter @AusCG_Mumbai
Key Indian Government contact points
- Indian Government central helpline number for COVID-19: +91-11-23978046
- Indian state and territory government COVID-19 helplines [PDF]
- Indian Government tourism hotline: 1800 11 1363 (available in 12 languages)